Avoid Email Tyranny!
Ten Top Tips for getting the best out of your Inbox and Outbox.
- Ping! Turn your email client off. Pick the moment at which you’ll be interrupted.
- What a fool! Never criticise anyone in email, and avoid technical debates. Use face-to-face meetings or ‘phone calls instead.
- c.c. Hell! Be judicious in who you send email to….. and who you copy. Justify why you should tell someone about this (and if it’s to cover your backside – think again.)
- If you must copy people – make sure that it’s for information only. No actions in a c.c.
- Observe some formality – this is business.
- If it’s truly Urgent and Important – why are you emailing? Hit that phone!
- Hesitate Review and revise important emails. Those few moments of review (and deep breathing to reduce a fevered response) could make all the difference.
- It’s out there. Remember that email is a public and permanent record. How would this look on News at Ten?
- First, plan your day – then check your email.
- Work your Inbox – Do, Delegate, Defer or Dump – and then get on with your real job!